Re: teuthology - libvirt-backend

Hi all,

thanks for answering.

From @Vasu:
----
Personally I think its a big win if we can get this going with qemu/kvm since it will decentralize's the testing and one can use the local enviornment to test out it but there are lot of layers to integrate (like local server capacity/dns/ipmi etc) and also integrate just the paddles/pulpito for overall view of test run
or a different layer can be brought in to share the results.

Is that what you are looking for?
----

Yop,

I think Teuthology would be much more accessible if an user could have the possibilty to choose were to run the teutology tests. By this i mean  make tehutology generic and this would mean redesign  or adapt if needed.

By generic i mean:

If the User/Developer of teutology/ceph has a only kvm server, he would need to provide only the hostnames of VMs needed or the KVM Server LIBVIRT-URI.

If User want to use openstack then use openstack.

If user would like to use kubernetes for rook , then use a kubernetes-cluster.

From the high-level perspective, we would provide an API for Teuotology where we seperate the test-execution from the testing-env and deployment/Provisioning.

So this in the theory.  So now in practice i know this is a technical-debt and can take time/efforts, but imho would be worth to discuss and we could take first step.

I created the card because we might need a short-term Roadmap/design and that is why we could start with libvirt-backend, as first implementation. (keeping backward compatibility with openstack and other backends)

If we have others interest imho we could other "backends" and others provider. (later)

So as an pseudo example, the best scenario would be :

git clone https://github.com/ceph/teuthology

or dnf/yum/zypper/apt install teuthology

# edit config with libvirt or other backends + hosts

teuthology.conf

teuthougy run.

# this would mean, the user can use their tool for deploying things/vms, or we provide pre-maded images

Best

Dario