Re: a question about ceph use lvm and bcache

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 5:38 AM jiaruo bai <baijiaruo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to use bcache(ssd as cache and sas/sata as backend disk) to
> improve performance in ceph v12.2.x, and bluestore uses lvm as the
> default.
> When the bcache backend disk breakdown, I want to remove bcache
> device, so I remove the lvm on it firstly, but the OS is panic during
> removing.

You might want to try out dmcache which we have used with no apparent
problems (certainly no OS panics)

> my questions are:
> 1. I want to know if it is necessary to use lvm? I got some
> considerations from
> http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2018-February/024388.html,
> but are there more?

It is the current default when provisioning a new OSD, so all the Ceph
tooling is using it. It isn't necessary as you can try and find a
different way to
provide devices for the OSD, like partitions. That would require
manual provisioning, while ceph-volume could help with the systemd
handling (see `ceph-volume simple scan` command)

> 2. If I do not use lvm, what harms are there in the future? for
> example the upgrade of ceph.

Hard to say what changes we might introduce that could cause issues
for a custom OSD provisioning scheme, but I don't think there is any
at the moment