Re: blinking lights

On 2018-10-24T19:03:45, John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Actually this should probably be build with the extension to the whole
> > node in mind! In case of a total node failure in a 500 node DC, this
> > might need to be blinked just as well.
> Do you mean blinking the node when it's running but none of its OSDs
> are, or blinking a fully offline node using lights-off management
> layers?

Both would be useful in the long run. Lights-off, or even some tools
like LightPath or whatever it was called that actually allowed to blink
the entire path to a device - in a DC with 20k drives you don't want to
be looking for the one blinking one, you want the light on the row,
then the rack, and then the drive to show you the path.

I'm not saying this needs to be in from day 0, but as we think about it,
we may want to keep the idea in mind - e.g., somehow relate this to the
topology of the hw we have in the crushmap?

Regards,
    Lars

"Architects should open possibilities and not determine everything." (Ueli Zbinden)