Re: ceph-volume development

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 3:10 PM Jan Fajerski <jfajerski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm looking at adding code to ceph-volume as a plugin and was wondering:
> - Is there a way to get c-v to run locally after a make? I realize that doesn't
>   make much sense for most subcommands, but it would help to figure out correct
>   plumbing and how its build. Am I missing some cmake var?

Actually, you don't need cmake at all, ceph-volume allows you to run
`python setup.py develop` and have the executable
available for you right there. If using a virtualenv, the same workflow applies.

> - Is there a reason simple and lvm are not implemented as plugins?

They could've for sure, we tried to be as fast as possible, so it was
simpler to just make it part of ceph-volume proper.

> - Are there tests that can be run locally? If so, how?

Yes, everything in ceph_volume/tests/ except for tests/functional. You
need to install py.test, and then simply run py.test inside the tests
directory.

> Sorry in advance if I'm being dense and not looking closely enough.

No worries, feel free to ask anything