Re: automatically closing stale pull requests

On 10/11/2018 09:03 AM, Sage Weil wrote:
Should we enable a plugin like this?

	https://github.com/probot/stale

It will let you configure a period of inactivity before a PR gets a
message like

	  This issue has been automatically marked as stale because it has
           not had recent activity. It will be closed if no further
           activity occurs. Thank you for your contributions.

and another period before the PR is closed.

We have a bazillion stale open PRs.  :(

My thinking is that ideally we really want something like this so tha
thte open PRs reflect a real work queue.  On the other hand, we also have
a big backlog of open PRs that have valid fixes (or, indirectly, bug
reports) that we probably need to go through and groom before
actually closing PRs.

Thoughts?

Yes! A thousand times yes. Every week I stare at 40+ performance PRs that are mostly outdated looking for updates.  Most of these are no longer mergable without some kind of rebase.  I'd guess that most of them would require at least minor refactors to even vaguely work as intended.  It's questionable how many are really useful.  Even if we end up closing one that was a good idea, we'll still have the history that folks can reference if they want to resurrect something.  I did that with the LMDB keyvalueDB and it turned out that it was still as sub-optimal for our workload in 2017 as it was when it was originally written. ;)

If folks (myself included) can't be bothered to update a PR for 6+mo, it's time to close it out.  We can always re-open when warranted.

Mark