Hardware profiling and AI in Ceph

Hello everyone,

Sorry for raising questions without first reading the previous 10K+ unread messages :-). I was wondering if there had been any discussions regarding:

- Qualifying common hardware from x86_64 manufacturers to create performance profiles (networking, kernel, osd). These profiles would help to get the best out of the hardware based on the configuration of each node.
- A minimalist CephOS that would help with the tweaking and performances.
- Metrics and logging from OSDs that would show when an OSD reaches a configuration limit that makes it turn thumbs.

These questions came to me after I spent hours trying to get decent figures out of full SSD nodes while the host CPU and iostat wouldn't exceed 30% and 60 %util . (RHCS support case #02195389) I had to disabling WBThrottler, set filestore_queue_max_ops=500000 and filestore_queue_max_bytes=1048576000.

I understand that tweaking really depends on workloads, but it would be nice if the OSD could adapt its configuration to hardware (network latency, mixed drive technologies or not, number of cores vs number of OSDs and Ghz,etc.) and then workloads. After using device classes, I guess this could be AI from machine learning coming into Ceph. As an admin, I'm always wondering if my hardware is not weak or if I didn't miss any hunder-the-hood-never-heard-about-what-does-that-even-do OSD option.

Sorry again for not reading previous posts and not watching all ceph performance weekly videos. ;-)

Best regards,

Frédéric

--

Frédéric Nass