Re: the license of diskprediction's pre-trained models and more

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 06:59:45PM +0800, kefu chai wrote:
> i am wondering if we could move further by providing user the
> pre-labeled SMART dataset of all listed combination of SMART
> attributes combination in config.json ,  script and document for
> training them, if only commodity hardware and free software are
> required to process the dataset.

IMHO, this usually needs proprietary software like CUDA, maybe we're not
in the free/libre era for machine learning yet...

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 7:37 PM John Spray <jspray@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If we consider these files to be software, then it's correct to say
> that a public domain binary is non-free.  If we consider them data,
> then a public domain binary is just a piece of data (analogous to
> distributing a .jpeg file but not the photographer's original .raw
> file).  I would lean toward the second view -- in my view, machine
> learning datasets are not source code, as they're numeric data rather
> than computer instructions.

My point is whether user can modify it. For picture, without .raw, we
can still modify the .jpeg with GIMP. For font(usually another case), we
can modify .ttf/.otf with fontforge. Both GIMP and fontforge are free
softwares.

Is it possible to use free software to modify the .joblib files? With my
silly knowledge of machine learning, I see scikit-learn can only load
and use them?

--
Shengjing Zhu