Re: Preventing redmine spam

On 09/05/2018 10:39 AM, David Galloway wrote:

>>> Non-member issue creation is widely used. It would suck if one had to be
>>> a developer to create Redmine issues (i.e., report bugs).
>>>
>>> So, my vote goes to the second option.
>>>
>>> Thanks, David, for fighting this anti-social behavior.
>>>

>> Okay, I've added a Captcha to the registration page, blocked the User
>> Agent that was creating spammy issues, and re-enabled issue creation for
>> regular users.
>>
>> Fingers crossed.
>>

> The spammers are somehow successfully passing the Captcha on the
> registration page so more spam issues have been created over the past week.
>
> I just created a fail2ban rule to block excessive issue creation (I'm
> intentionally leaving details out so they can't be used against me/us).
> This will reduce but not block spam entirely.  I'm not sure adding a
> Captcha to the issue creation page would help but that's next.

Whatever tool is being used to create the spammy issues must use a long
keepalive which is no surprise.  This means the TCP connection remains
open even after the firewall rule has been put in place to block the IP.

I just added a reCaptcha when creating or editing issues if a user is
not a member of a group (this is the default for new accounts).