Re: Further protections on master branch

On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 10:41 AM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey all,
> After a discussion on options in the leadership team today, I ticked a
> box in the Github interface that prevents repository administrators
> from merging PRs to master that don't pass status checks (ie, make
> check). Hopefully this was rare anyway, and what we've really done is
> added some security against accidental "git push" of test branches
> that aren't ready yet and being just that little bit more sure that we
> aren't breaking things for other people.

There is exactly 0 gain here for a project like ceph-volume which
doesn't benefit from (nor it can't affect) make check.

We knew this when we started ceph-volume out of tree, but now that we
are in-tree, it is certainly a lot of trouble that we avoid by always
merging
regardless of what make check is reporting, not to mention that it
takes about 40 min. to complete (ceph-volume functional tests take
half the time).

I understand this may be for the greater good of the project as a
whole, but I have to raise this as a problem for components like
ceph-volume that are undermined by these
changes