Re: Configuration option xxx may not be modified at runtime

On Tue, Sep 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 12:43 AM, Mykola Golub <to.my.trociny@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sat, Sep 01, 2018 at 10:24:26PM -0500, Alex Litvak wrote:
> >
> >> 2018-09-01 20:21:22.026 7fe2dffff700 -1 set_mon_vals failed to set
> >> admin_socket = /var/run/ceph/$name.$pid.asok: Configuration option
> >> 'admin_socket' may not be modified at runtime
> >
> > It looks you added admin_socket option to the monitor configuration
> > database, either explicitely calling something like
> >
> >   ceph config set client admin_socket ...
> >
> > or via assimilate-conf. This option does not make sence in the monitor
> > configuration database, as the client or daemon connects to the
> > monitor after the admin socket is created. You need to keep it in the
> > config file. That is why your see the warning. It is harmless, and you
> > can get rid of it by removing admin_socket from the database.
>
> Something else seems wrong here. It might be that the options are set
> in the global section and we didn't expect/test for that, but I don't
> think we should be warning so generically on every client on such
> things either. That's a serious UX issue and we already have
> mechanisms for seeing diffs in running daemons on the monitor itself.
> Or is there some reason that we're attempting to set every option and
> then spewing to stdout if we expectedly fail to do so?

I agree that we need a change here to prevent the system getting into
this state.  We have FLAG_NO_MON_UPDATE in options.h for things that
should never ever be set via the mon's configuration store -- maybe
admin_socket needs that flag?  Would need to check the exact order of
initialisation.

John