Re: Preventing redmine spam (was: Our Redmine spammer is at it again)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 7:26 AM, David Galloway <dgallowa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So it turns out the API isn't actually being used.  I had to disable
> creating issues for the "Non-members" group which basically includes
> every authenticated user except developers.
>
> I think this is going to be the only surefire way we can prevent this
> from happening again.
>
> Alternatively, I could block certain user agents (one in particular was
> used this time) and add a Captcha to the registration page.
>
> I'd like the community's input.

We can talk about blocking off the general public from our bug tracker
in the Ceph Leadership Team, but instinctively I don't like the idea —
it forces people to go through the mailing list and attract attention
from somebody to report any issues. :/

I haven't dug into this, but perhaps it's also possible to rate-limit
particular groups in Redmine? Developers need to be able to scrub bugs
or transcribe things, but non-members probably aren't discovering a
bug more often than every ten minutes or whatever. ;)
-Greg