Re: [Ceph-community] Consistency Properties of Ceph

> On 08/08/2018 11:44 PM, Sam Kumar wrote:
>> But, what specific consistency properties are guaranteed by Ceph RADOS?
>> In particular, does it guarantee consistency in the classic sense (i.e.,
>> linearizability) or something weaker?
>>
>> At a high level, based on the design of Ceph, it seems like it should be
>> linearizable (as it uses stable hashing in the common case and Paxos on
>> failure). But I wanted to ask the community since I couldn't find
>> RADOS's specific consistency property documented anywhere.

Paxos is only used by the monitors, and is relied upon to maintain the
cluster state (i.e., mostly maps that allow clients to figure out where
the data is).

The data consistency properties are guaranteed by the OSDs. They ensure
we get strong consistency semantics by serializing the requests per-pg.

  -Joao