Re: avoiding incomplete backports

These tend to make the process harder/slower but don't really get at the
part where someone says "should we be doing this?".  Two process-y options
come to mind:

  1- In the 'Pending backport' state, the backport bugs get a 'Pending
approval' state.  Or, 'pending backport approval' come sbefore 'pending
backport'.  Or, a new 'backport approved' checkbox field for backports.
As long as it's something that we can build a redmine query for.  And the
team lead or a core maintainer has to say yes or no before the
backporting work begins.
  2- Once the backport PR is opened, a review is always requested
from the lead.

Or,

  3- We collectively pay more attention to the reviews for backports and
consider whether the backport is really a good idea and worth the risk.

I kind of like 1, but 3 is certainly the simplest.

I like (1) - how about this as a clarification:

Turn the existing "Backport" field into "Backport requested".

Add two new checkboxes: "Backport approved (S)" and "Backport approved (S-1)" - S is short for "the most recent stable release" and S-1 means "the second-most recent stable release".

Crucially, the two new "Backport approved" boxes would require administrator privileges to "tick" (for Britons) or "check" (for Americans).

The script src/script/backport-create-issue would be adapted so it creates issues only for approved backports.

Somewhere there would need to be a mapping which would be updated when a new stable release comes out. At the moment it would be:

S -> mimic
S-1 -> luminous

What do you think?

(BTW, I like your idea for the backporter to be required to do "git log --grep" on all the master SHA1s to check for follow-on fixes.)

Nathan