Re: avoiding incomplete backports

On Thu, 2018-07-26 at 07:30 +0200, Nathan Cutler wrote:
> > S-1 is arguably the more important of the two, since it will always
> > have
> > a larger installed base. Changes to master are often motivated by
> > desire to get something into S-1.
>
> Another idea:
>
> Features could be developed on, and initially merged into, the
> earliest
> release they are targeting. Features that are targeting Luminous
> would
> be developed, tested, and initially released on Luminous.
>
> The developer of the feature would be responsible for forward-
> porting
> the feature to more recent branches (mimic and master in the above
> example).

I think this may make sense on very specific occasions; e.g., when the
code has substantially changed in master, such that fixing it in master
first would be significantly tricky when backporting.

As a general rule though, I think this will generate quite a bit of
confusion. This could be addressed by tagging the `cherry-pick -x` with
the release from which it was forward-ported, but it seems to me (maybe
I'm just being dense though) that it would sort of break the quasi-
sequential flow of git, with a bit of indirection introduced -- i.e.,
some cherry-picks will be backports, and others forward-ports; unless
we stick with one and that's the process.

  -Joao