Contributing factors for 12.2.6

Hi everyone,

Several things went wrong with the 12.2.6 release.  Thank you to everyone
(users and developers both) who help to quickly diagnose, understand, and
fix the problems!

Before we get caught up in everything else on our plates I'd like to make
sure we don't loose track of what could have prevented the problems with
that release.  This is by no means a comprehensive list (and possibly not
even accurate--please correct me if this doesn't seem right), but is
hopefully a decent start.

1- A feature in master was backported, but a follow-on bug fix was missed.
I'm sent a separate email about this one since I think it's a complicated
tool/process issue.

2- The upgrade/luminous-p2p suite didn't run because of tracker #24760
(shaman/chacra/teuthology aren't retaining builds of tagged releases in a
way that teuthology can consume).  This hopefully would have caught crc
errors (depends on the workload).  Can we discuss this in infra standup
(or whenever) Monday to come to a conensus on the right solution?

3- The upgrade/jewel-x test also missed the crc problem.  Unclear exactly
why.  One theory is that it was masked by the osdmap crc failures
currently in the suite (which we considered non-blocking).  Another is
that it missed the right workloads too (maybe needs ceph-fuse added in?).
I opened #25057 and marked it high priority.

4- Once the release was out and known to be bad, we didn't have a way to
revert the repo to prevent people from installing the bad version.  Even
if they were aware, in some cases (deb) there wasn't a way for them to
explicitly get the older packages.  (I think.)  I think we should discuss
this with #1 this week to brainstorm possible solutions.  Perhaps
something as simple as keeping full copies of the published repos for each
release and linking to the latest/best one via symlinks?

Thanks!
sage