Re: automated bluestore conversion

>>> Putting it in the mgr also would allow us to do things like scheduling
>>> time of day to do replacements, or maybe adjust recovery throttling
>>> automatically, or whatever else we decide would improve the overall
>>> process.
>>
>> +1 to putting features in mgr if that lets us avoid having as many different
>> implementations of those features as there are orchestration tools.
>
> BTW I am not saying to *not* put it there, I am mostly interested in
> finding what are the gaps that ceph-volume can help, like
> mounting/unmounting, systemd,
> dmcrypt, etc...

Forgive me if I've missed something, but one advantage of using the mgr is also visibility across the cluster, notably to restrict repaving paralleism to a single OSD per host / failure domain / cluster as desired.

That said, if something like this gets implemented, here's a vote to generalize it a bit to a generic repaver, not just Filestore -> Bluestore.  Some of you may remember the "-n size=65536" nightmare I fought in the past.  I dreamt of a daemon that would just run in the background repaving OSDs, but at the time lacked the resources to develop one that would be safe to let loose in a brittle production cluster.

Or even more abstracted, a generic OSD iterator that would apply a given script / task to each OSD subject to the obvious constraints.  This would seem to be too big a bite to take just to repave but I can dream ;)

-- aad