DPDK compiling with gcc -march=native ?

It has come to my attention that we may be building DPDK (and possibly other submodules - e.g. rapidjson) with gcc's "-march=native" option. This would be a Bad Thing because (IIUC) it makes it difficult (impossible?) to know which opcodes will get used in the binaries shipping in our official packages, because we don't really know exactly what flavor of x86_64 is being used on the build worker.

For example, DPDK will compile differently on x86_64 machines which support SSE4.2 compared to those that don't support it.

So, this raises a couple questions in my mind:

1. how to determine whether DPDK really runs gcc with -march=native? (this information does not appear in our build log) 2. am I right in assuming that -march=x86-64 would be the right choice for our official builds?

Nathan