Re: About smartctl unable to query SAS Disk device

On Wed, 4 Jul 2018, Erwan Velu wrote:
> Did you tried the "-d ata" to get more information ?
>
> SCSI implementation of SMART is much more lighter than the ATA one.

The 'smartctl -a --json /dev/sdb' is working fine, it's just that the
invocation via the ceph tell osd.X is returning nothing.

This is what the OSD is doing:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/osd/OSD.cc#L6250

so the possible issues I see are

1- sudo.  whoever teh ceph-osd process is running as is probably not in
sudoers yet

2- smartctl not in path.. on my box it's /usr/sbin, perhaps we should
specify that explicitly?

3- the smart otput is failing to parse as json here

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/osd/OSD.cc#L6234

My money is on 1 or 2.

sage