Send rbd image io stats to ceph-mgr/external system

Hi,

One of the user asked features is a possibility to collect per RBD
image io stats.

A natural way would be to send this to ceph-mgr so it could further be
processed/displayed by dashboard or forwarded to (or polled by) an
external system. For this it looks like the librbd client just needs
to register a service in the mgr.

The main concern here is though that the mgr service wouldn't
currently scale to (tens of) thousands of RBD image services being
registered.

So the questions are:

Can we consider this approach as a right thing to do and the potential
ceph-mgr scalability issue is going (needs) to be fixed eventually
(e.g. when we start seeing clusters with tens of thousands osds), so
we could implement this on librbd side, disabled by default, and user
could already start to use this at least for small setups or enabling
it only for a subset of images?

Or should we think that ceph-mgr is not designed for such a sort of
things and consider other solutions?

As some other solution we could provide built-in/plug-in
prometheus/influx/etc exporters within librados so that it can be
directly configured to export the perf counters to its time series db.

--
Mykola Golub