Re: Interactive/Watch ceph -s/-w/status

On Wed, Jun 6, 2018 at 2:29 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Previous to Luminous you could run 'ceph -w' and get a continues output
> of how the cluster is performing. You would get IOps and such.
>
> To get this done with Luminous you need to do something like:
>
> $ watch ceph -s
>
> Although this works it is less efficient then -w used to be:
>
> 1. Spawn Python interpreter
> 2. Create connection with the MON(s)
> 3. Fetch OSDMap
> 4. Fetch statistics
>
> And do this all every 2 seconds (or which interval you set).
>
> So I was thinking about this:
>
> $ ceph -s <interval>
>
> If you provide a interval the process will not exit but it will refresh
> the screen every X seconds while keeping the Python interpreter live and
> also keep the MON connection imitated.
>
> It's actually just running the mon command 'status' every X seconds and
> refreshing the screen.
>
> Although we have the 'iostat' Mgr module in Mimic it doesn't do exactly
> the same as status does.
>
> I think it's the status Mgr Module which is responsible for this, isn't it?

The status module is something else (the "fs status" and "osd status"
commands, and any other handy things anyone wanted to add).

If one literally just wants a live-refreshed view of "ceph -s", then
"watch ceph -s" is IMO quite reasonable, and not inefficient enough to
justify creating a built in version (unless we're feeling the pain of
the continuous reconnections in a way that I haven't thought of?)

However, I could see the need for some variations on the theme of the
iostat command, that had more of the health and status info
(especially pg states) rather than performance-focussed output.  I
find the line-streaming output more handy than a full screen refresh,
because I have a few lines of history on the screen.

John