Re: Get the user metadata via RGW Admin OPS API of the signer of the request

Am 30.05.2018 um 16:27 schrieb Casey Bodley:

> On 05/30/2018 10:18 AM, Volker Theile wrote:
>> I've enhanced the RGW Admin OPS API to get the metadata of the user
>> without using the URL /admin/metadata/user?key=<username>, instead the
>> URL /admin/metadata/user?myself will return the metadata of the user
>> that is used to sign the request.
>>
>> You're asking what this is good for?
>>
>> In the Dashboard it is necessary to check if a RGW user that is going to
>> be deleted is not the user account that is used to access the RGW Admin
>> OPS API (see feature https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/24335). The problem
>> is that the Dashboard only knows about the access/secret key of the
>> administration account. With the above feature it is easy to retrieve
>> the user name of the administration account by requesting the metadata
>> via /admin/metadata/user?myself.
>>
>> You can find the already working implementation at
>> https://github.com/votdev/ceph/commit/581374fb22734ba3fd904407210add6351df59cd.
>>

>> Is this a good approach or can this be done better? Feel free to comment
>> this email.
>>

>> Volker
>>

> That looks reasonable enough to me. If the mgr/dashboard is the one
> creating this user, maybe it would be easier to store its user id
> along with the access/secret keys?

That's an option and i already suggested this to make the user ID a
prerequisite, but the response was not overwhelming.

Currently the dashboard has to be configured with

$ ceph dashboard set-rgw-api-access-key <accesskey>
$ ceph dashboard set-rgw-api-secret-key <secretkey>

and that's it. No more information is stored about the RGW Admin OPS API
administration account. These settings are required. But there is an
optional setting called

$ ceph dashboard set-rgw-api-user-id <userid>

but if this is not configured, it is not possible to find out if the
user that is going to be deleted is the admin account. To solve this my
proposal is to enhance the Admin OPS API to be able to fetch the
necessary information after the first connection has been established
and store the user ID during the session.

By the way i think this enhancement is not only useful for exactly this
situation.

Volker