Re: hexadecimal epochs in log messages?

On Mon, May 28, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Joao Eduardo Luis <joao@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I've bumped into log messages on the monitors showing epochs as hexadecimal.
> And being inconsistent at that, mind you, as consecutive messages will end
> up having different representations of decimal numbers; e.g.,
>
> 2018-05-25 23:08:15.483 7f5df53dc700 20 mon.b@3(peon).osd e10
> send_pg_creates not using stale creating_pgs@f
> 2018-05-25 23:08:15.483 7f5df53dc700 20 mon.b@3(peon).osd e10
> send_pg_creates not using stale creating_pgs@f
> 2018-05-25 23:08:15.483 7f5df53dc700 20 mon.b@3(peon).osd e10
> send_pg_creates not using stale creating_pgs@f
> 2018-05-25 23:08:15.487 7f5df5bdd700 20 mon.b@3(peon).osd e16
> send_pg_creates osd.1 from 16 : epoch 16 4 pgs
>
> Funny enough, in a teuthology cluster this only affect a couple of different
> monitors. As far as I can see, 7 out of 9 monitors are not showing symptoms
> of this.
>
> Given not all the monitors are affected, and that I didn't see any specific
> change as of late in our PRs, I'm tempted to rule out a code change in Ceph
> as being the culprit. But... what could it be? Different stl versions due to
> different distros? Compilers? Cosmic rays?

as discussed over IRC. we are caching the "t_os.streambuf", so the
fmtflag persists across log entries. and there is chance  we have
unbalanced std::hex and std::dec, for instance,
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/master/src/osd/PrimaryLogPG.cc#L1302
. i will try to identify them and put the missing std::dec(s) back.

> Thoughts appreciated.
>
>   -Joao
>
> --

Regards