Stray OSD

Several years ago the ceph osd tree command could return OSDs in a
'stray' state and the OSDs could stay in that state indefinitely until
the underlying issues with the backing drive or OSD process were
resolved, or the OSD was removed. It used to be that I could force
this state by blowing away a backing OSD drive out from under CEPH.
The recipe I used to do this no longer works. I have written code that
looks at the output of ceph osd tree and accounts for the 'stray'
state. Now I need to modify this code, but I can no longer get an OSD
into this persistent 'stray' state.

Is there any possibility with Jewel or Luminous that an OSD can be in
a persistent stray state?

If so, how can I produce this state?

Sincerely,

Jeff McManus