Re: mgr dashboard SSL cert and default port

Hi Wido,

thanks for the feedback.

On 05/17/2018 01:52 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> Before I open a PR I just wanted to verify a few things about the new
> dashboard.
>
> I set up the Mimic v13 RC and enabled the dashboard, but it wouldn't
> work by default.

:/

> At first, the docs [0] say it will run on port 7000, but it is actually
> 8080 [1]
>
> Second, you need to generate a SSL cert before it can run:
>
> $ ceph dashboard create-self-signed-cert
>
> You can now go to: httpS://<manager>:8080/
>
> Mind the capital 'S', because port 8080 seems to suggest a non-SSL
> connection, but it needs to be SSL enabled.
>
> My suggestions would be:
>
> - Keep 7000 the default port
> - Or choose port 8443
> - Add generating SSL cert to docs
>
> Let me know if I can assist, but want to prevent doing redundant work.

Thanks for reporting this. I am currently working on a PR to update the
dashboard documentation accordingly:

  https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21865

I will update the default TCP port number accordingly, this will
hopefully help to guide users through the configuration.

But I agree that the choice of the TCP port number should be
reconsidered based on the reasoning above - I wouldn't object a PR that
changes the default ;)

Thanks,

Lenz

--
SUSE Linux GmbH - Maxfeldstr. 5 - 90409 Nuernberg (Germany)
GF:Felix Imendörffer,Jane Smithard,Graham Norton,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)