Re: mimic is forked

On Fri, 4 May 2018, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The mimic branch is now forked off of master, and the first release
> > candidate (13.1.0) is getting built.  It's now possible to merge new stuff
> > for nautilus into the master branch!
> >
> > As for how we manage the mimic branch going forward, we have two options:
> >
> > 1) Merge bug fixes to master and cherry-pick -x them to mimic.  This is a
> > bit of extra work, but it's what we're used to doing for the stable
> > releases after they're out.
>
> Strong +1 for (1).

Most people tend to prefer (1), so let's prefer that:

 - merge your fixes to master
 - *make sure they are then cherry-pick -x'd to mimic*

Greg pointed out that we will *also* periodically merge mimic back into
master so that the release/version tag is reflected in the master branch's
history, so if you end up merging a fix directly to mimic that will work
too.  So, really, either will do... but please pay attention if you merge
anything you want for mimic to make sure it ends up there (one way or
another)!

sage