Can we have back the ability to create device class before OSDs start?

Hi,

IIRC at some point, we were able to create a device class from the CLI.
Now it seems that the device class gets created when at least one OSD
of a particular class starts.

In ceph-ansible, we create pools after the initial monitors are up and
we want to assign a device crush class on some of them.
That's not possible at the moment since there no device class available yet.

Also, someone might want to create its own device class.
Something as crazy as running Filestore with a tmpfs osd store and
might want to isolate them.
I know it's a very limited use case, but still, it could be desired.

Thanks in advance!

--
Cheers

––––––
Sébastien Han
Principal Software Engineer, Storage Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

Mail: seb@xxxxxxxxxx
Address: 11 bis, rue Roquépine - 75008 Paris