Re: Policy based object tiering in RGW

On 04/04/2018 09:35 AM, Casey Bodley wrote:

On 04/04/2018 09:19 AM, Varada Kari (System Engineer) wrote:
On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 5:31 PM, Matt Benjamin <mbenjami@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

inline

On Tue, Apr 3, 2018 at 3:39 AM, Varada Kari (System Engineer)
<varadaraja.kari@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Grangularity of policy is bucket(group of objects). S3 supports user
policies and bucket policies. Ceph supports subset of bucket policies
in Luminous. If we can have additional headers per object, may be we
can handle per object policies also, but i am not sure how much work
is that.
User policy is being worked on.  Expect PR(s) soon.  I don't think AWS
defines this sort of object policy, but if you have a well-formed
proposal, we seem to have a good foundation for implementing new
grammar and actions.

Yeah, AWS doesn't have Object policies. I am mostly coming from, if we
have a big object(
may be a video etc...) we can associate a policy to the object, to
delete or move out once
the expiration policy kicks in. And mostly thinking about a non-prefix
based implementation
and overcome that by adding appropriate headers. we might have to do
additional work to read
them and make a decision. But i don't have well formed document to it
right now, we are still working on it.

Lifecycle filters based on object tags could be a good alternative to prefixes, and should be pretty easy to implement.

I take that back, sorry. Object tags aren't in the bucket index, so searching for them would have to read every head object. The prefix searches are much cheaper to process.