Cephalocon QA: Teuthology infrastructure/new labs

We then moved on to running teuthology in non-sepia labs. It turns out
all four companies present have done this, with varying levels of
trouble. The biggest issue at an institutional level is just that the
teuthology code base still embeds a lot of assumptions about accessing
the sepia lab — even after the work to support running in openstack
clouds, it expects to be querying ceph.com subdomains for packages and
a bunch of other things, and many of them are hard-coded into the
source rather than being configurable. (Even leaving aside the
teuthology core code, I know that I have certainly written tests that
pull random tarballs from ceph.com/qa, and although that ought to
function it means you need external network bandwidth sufficient to
download them on every run!) So far every group has done the tedious
patching themselves to change this. Hopefully some of them can share
the patches they’ve made so we can get an idea of the problem size,
and if nobody else volunteers sooner the next group who needs an
install can make it configurable instead of simply swapping out URLs?
:)
PROBLEM TOPIC: replace hard-coded Sepia lab URLs with configurables

One of the bigger-picture questions I had was whether we need to
rethink the way we use or build teuthology, given the number of
components it has these days (Shaman, Pulpito, beanstalkd for job
scheduling, Jenkins for building and some other stuff, I think a
“Chacra” but I don’t know what for, etc). It would be great if we
could share resources with other open-source projects doing similar
things. After discussion, it sounds like for institutions it is not a
problem to install and keep those pieces running (at least, in
comparison to the other challenges of actually developing and testing
Ceph).
I asked specifically about replacing beanstalkd, since I know that’s
been a long-term todo item and when there is lab contention that is
not a sufficient scheduler. The room seemed to think that might be
nice but isn’t a big issue unless the lab doesn’t have enough capacity
for the testing we need. Moreover, any replacement would have to be a
full job scheduling system and that would require a lot more
(teuthology-based) custom coding and (site-based) configuration.

We would like to do more test framework sharing with other groups, but
the gains for us are limited unless we manage to build out a serious
community. The Sepia maintainers have explored sharing with the CentOS
CI system in the past, and Joao brought up OpenQA, but all the systems
we’ve explored so far don’t handle the build volume we need and mostly
replicate smaller components of our overall system. (Both of those
projects are focused on building existing packages, installing them on
a single node, and making sure they can be turned on; they don’t
handle cross-system orchestration, deep testing, or any kind of job
scheduling beyond “there is a machine to build the package now”.) John
suggested the best areas for collaboration are around building
packages and displaying test results if we want to explore that, but
in terms of distributed testing we would be donating far more time
than we could plausibly get back.