debugging pg states

I had an amusing little problem today with a bug report about IO
pausing on a cluster when OSDs are killed. Naturally, the first thing
I wanted to do was see if it was the result of OSDs not getting marked
down, or if the PGs were not peering quickly after that.

Only it turns out that in Luminous, we no longer log the pg states to
any single log I can find. ceph.log now contains only the health
summary; I wasn't provided the mgr log but it appears to require debug
10 before printing out individual states. This means the only way to
get them is to have a high debug value while the logs are running (and
I don't think this is something people are used to on the manager
yet), and that any issues in the field will be difficult to resolve if
they aren't immediately reproducible.

So: I'm pretty sure we need to log PG state changes in more detail by
default. Does anybody have suggestions or preferences for *how* that
happens? My preference is for them to show up in ceph.log...
-Greg