Re: storing pg logs outside of rocksdb

On 28/03/2018, Varada Kari wrote:
> Agree. I like the approaches. Like first approach, we could manage the
> space as a virtual container and keep them growing in case someone
> wants to have a bigger trim window.
>
> Wanted to check, instead of level compaction, what would be impact of
> universal compaction? we would consume more space, but we can keep all
> of the entries in L0 files. For SSD backends we might observe some
> respite on the write amplification, but there could be more space
> amplification.

How are we planning to expose this? Are we going to add 'PGLog'
management functions to the object store interface?

I would /really really rather not/ try to have behind the scenes magic
where BlueStore intercepts certain omap calls and does something
hidden and arcane to them. Since we're going to have other stores in
the future I'd like to make sure whatever we have is explicit and easy
to adapt and use.