Re: Read Only status HTTP API Manager Module

On 03/23/2018 05:58 PM, Lenz Grimmer wrote:
> Hi Wido,
>
> On 02/28/2018 03:42 PM, Wido den Hollander wrote:
>
>> I came across a few customers who would really like a status module
>> which would just present a Read Only API with the status of the cluster.
>>
>> The current REST API module adds a few hurdles like creating a key and
>> authenticating. While that's indeed safer it doesn't make it easy to use.
>>
>> Many of these users currently parse something like this:
>>
>> $ ceph status --format=json
>>
>> Would it be logical to have a very simple manager module which exposes
>> just a 'status' API through HTTP?
>
> As I just stumbled over it by accident: Ceph-Dash actually seems to
> provide exactly that:
>
> https://github.com/Crapworks/ceph-dash

Yes, that would work, but it's not a Manager Module and thus not so easy
to set up.

I was thinking about a simple HTTP server which just dumps a JSON when
you perform a request to "/" and gives you back the status of the
cluster without any authentication.

Very simple to consume with a monitoring system.

Wido