Re: mclock priority queue in radosgw

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 04:40:08PM -0700, Kyle Bader wrote:
> >From a capacity planning perspective, it would be fantastic to be able
> to limit the request volume per bucket. In Amazon S3, they provide
> roughly 300 PUT/LIST/DELETE per second or 800 GET per second. Taking
> those values and translating them into sensible default weight seems
> like a good start. The ability to scale the limits as the bucket is
> sharded would further enhance fidelity with Amazon's behavior. When
> you exceed the number of requests per second in Amazon, you get a 503:
> "Slow down" error, we should probably do similar. All these things go
> a long way in protecting the system from being abused as a k/v store,
> misguided tenants can't sap the seeks from folks who are using the
> system for appropriately sized objects.
>
> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/request-rate-perf-considerations.html
> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/ErrorBestPractices.html
Per bucket AND per user.

On the DreamHost cluster, I have user-level rate-limiting implemented in
HAProxy(via Lua), and this came up during Cephalocon so far, that I'll
be sharing that implementation.

It's just a request rate limit however, which doesn't cover single
clients doing large files at high bandwidth.

Most notable however it sounds like FlipKart Internet Pvt has already
developed RGW rate limiting, from their con presentation that just
ended. Hopefully they can engage on this thread with that implementation
already.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer