Re: mclock priority queue in radosgw

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 5:17 PM, Yehuda Sadeh-Weinraub
<ysadehwe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 12:09 PM, Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That does sound like the simpler solution that should be good enough
> starting point. What if we could integrate it in a much lower layer,
> e.g., into librados?

I'm not clear what the change in layering would do to address the
objection Eric and Casey raised to costing chunks, but I do know I
don't want to lose the articulation at the request/rgwop level.  Does
the coming ink up with OSD client dmclock in librados cover the ground
at the level of rados ops?

>> New virtual functions in class RGWOp seem like a good way for the derived
>> Ops to return their request class and cost. Once we know those, we can add
>> ourselves to the mclock priority queue and do an async wait until its our
>> turn to run.

That sound attractive.

>> The priority queue can use perf counters for introspection, and a config
>> observer to apply changes to the per-client mclock options.
>>
>> As future work, we could add some load balancer integration to:
>> - enable custom scripts that look at incoming requests and assign their own
>> request class/cost
>> - track distributed client stats across gateways, and feed that info back
>> into radosgw with each request (this is the d in dmclock)

There seems to be community interest in this idea.

>> Thanks,
>> Casey

Matt

--