Release notes and changelogs

For every release we have a file like "v<version number>.txt" added to
doc/changelog/ directory

These seem to be a direct copy of git log for the commits of the
referred release. 12.2.3 is at about ten thousand lines.

What is it that we need from this to be added to the doc tree? I don't
see what the benefit is from listing all the commits in exactly how
`git log` would. Can we drop this?

The file which I would think more of a changelog, which we call the
'release-notes.rst'  would benefit from being split per version, it is
about 2MB and 20,000 lines. Maybe following the structure of the
changelog files, it could be something like:

doc/releases/v<release-version>.rst

These would be easier/faster to load on a browser as well since it
would need to just have enough info for the release.