debugging mgr python modules

Hi All,

Right now, if you want to debug an mgr python module, you're pretty much
restricted to dumping interesting stuff to log files, right?

What about if you wanted to run an interactive python debugger?

I had two half-formed ideas for this.  One is that apparently there's
something called prdb, which could theoretically be loaded in an mgr
module to enable remote debugging over a socket (although
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/rpdb/ says it reroutes stdout and stdin,
which I assume might not work given mgr is already eating those -- not
sure, haven't had a chance to try it yet).

The second idea was to create a python wrapper which provides a stub
implementation of the pieces that ceph-mgr exposes from C++ land
(ceph_state, etc.).  This would expose some fake cluster state, much as
the minion sim thing did in calamari.  Then you could (somehow) load/run
a mgr python module completely outside mgr to experimentally poke at it.
 Having typed all that out  now, I suspect this might be a PITA to
maintain and be ultimately less useful for live debugging that the first
half-formed idea, although it might be interesting for unit testing.

Any thoughts on whether any of the above is worth pursuing?

Thanks,

Tim
--
Tim Serong