Re: mon config commands

The rest looks good, but I don't understand this thing about "RO"
values at all. Based on what's here, it represents options that aren't
live yet, but will be on reboot?

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> leveldb_log                                                                                                   default
> leveldb_write_buffer_size                                  33554432                                           default
> lockdep                                                    1                                                  file
> log_file                                                   /home/sage/src/ceph6/build/out/$name.log           file
> mgr_initial_modules                                        restful status dashboard balancer                  file
> mon_cluster_log_file                                       /home/sage/src/ceph6/build/out/cluster.mon.$id.log file
> mon_data                                                   /home/sage/src/ceph6/build/dev/mon.a               file
> mon_data_avail_crit                                        1                                                  mon
> mon_data_avail_warn                                        2                                                  mon
> mon_osd_backfillfull_ratio                                 0.99                                               file
> mon_osd_full_ratio                                         0.99                                               file
> mon_osd_nearfull_ratio                                     0.99                                               file
> mon_osd_reporter_subtree_level                             osd                                                mon
> mon_pg_warn_min_per_osd                                    3                                                  mon
> ms_type                                                    async+posix                                        default           mon
> osd_crush_chooseleaf_type                                  0                                                  mon
> osd_failsafe_full_ratio                                    0.99                                               file
> osd_pool_default_min_size                                  1                                                  mon
> osd_pool_default_size                                      1                                                  mon
> pid_file                                                   /home/sage/src/ceph6/build/out/mon.a.pid           cmdline file
> plugin_dir                                                 /home/sage/src/ceph6/build/lib                     file
> run_dir                                                    /home/sage/src/ceph6/build/out                     file
>
> (sorry for the wide table)
>
> A few things to note: SOURCE can be any of default, file, mon, env,
> cmdline, or override.  You'll notice that ms_type SOURCE is 'default' and
> IGNORES is 'mon', because the daemon is ignoring the mon value--this

I also don't get how one mon having a different setting means that all
mons are marked as ignoring it.

Putting them right next to each other also makes it clear in my mind
that people are going to be confused about "config get" versus "config
show". Perhaps it should be "get_stored" and "show_running" or
something? I don't like those names, but they need to be clearer. And
now I've got a new feature request: a command that outputs the
difference between those two. Or perhaps that goes through *all* the
configs and dumps any daemons whose running config differs from their
stored ones.

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018, Alfredo Deza wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 4:21 PM, Sage Weil <sage@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > Here's the current state of the mon config commands for mimic.  These are
>> > pretty close to being "done" so please review carefully!
>> >
>> > config assimilate-conf                  Assimilate options from a conf, and
>> >                                          return a new, minimal conf file
>>
>> I think this would still be fine as `config assimilate`. The `-conf`
>> reads a bit redundant, and it wouldn't be terribly obscure to leave it
>> as plain `assimilate`
>
> Works for me  :)

Count me as a vote for "assimilate-conf" over "assimilate".
Specificity is easier to search for help on, and easier to understand.
-Greg