Excessive fragmentation in BlueStore allocators

Hi Cephers,

Some of us have been observing this issue for a while, see:

https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/18494

http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/22510

And still no perfect solution has been suggested.

Here is another trivial one that's probably is far from being ideal. But we has to deal with the issue somehow as it might cause real failures with customers.

The idea is to restrict 'hint' advance within some store space region ('unprotected area'), e.g. 80% of the store. Once hint value jumps out of that space on hint advance - it's reset to the zero. Allocations from the 'protected' area (rest 20%) are still allowed but limited to the case when 'unprotected' area is unable to serve the request. This is achieved automatically by starting the looku This way sequential allocations we now benefit from are still available most of the time. And space for large continuous allocations is much less utilized and hence is better preserved too.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Igor