Re: SMART disk monitoring

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
> On 2017-11-10T22:36:46, Yaarit Hatuka <yaarit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Many thanks! I'm very excited to join Ceph's outstanding community!
> > I'm looking forward to working on this challenging project, and I'm
> > very grateful for the opportunity to be guided by Sage.
>
> That's all excellent news!
>
> Can we discuss though if/how this belongs into ceph-osd? Given that this
> can (and is) already collected via smartmon, either via prometheus or, I
> assume, collectd as well? Does this really need to be added to the OSD
> code?

Hi Lars,

Yaarit is taking a look at this now and the smartmon.sh collector for
prometheus looks a bit janky:

1) It seems like you have to set up a cron job to write the current smart
output to a text file in a directory somewhere, and then prometheus will
scrape it when polled.[1]

2) smartmon.sh[2] is a shortish pile of bash that collects only a handful
of fields by parsing smartctl output.

The second piece will hopefully improve once the JSON output mode for
smartctl is completed (that is in progress upstream in smartmontools).
But the first part seems awkward, and doesn't look like it would work out
of the box.  Are you guys currently collecting SMART data?  If so, how did
you automate/simplify the setup?

Thanks!
sage

[1] https://github.com/prometheus/node_exporter#textfile-collector