Re: Ceph Manager brag module

Hey Wido,

On 12/14/2017 10:24 AM, Wido den Hollander wrote:

> After discussing with Sage I started to work [0] on a 'brag' module for
> Ceph Manager.

Nice!

> The intention of this module is to send (after a opt-in!) statistics
> about a Ceph cluster back to the project every few days.
>
> My intention is to include:
>
> - fsid (as identifier)
> - number of MONs
> - number of OSDs
> - FileStore / BlueStore
> - number of pools / PGs
> - data used in bytes
> - data free
> - number of objects,
> - version(s)

Not sure if that could actually be extracted, but how about "Services
enabled", e.g. "RGW", "CephFS" or "RBD", with some additional insight
(e.g. how many RBDs/buckets)?

I think it would be valuable to obtain some (optional) insight into what
that cluster is actually used for.

> A admin can also say that the report is allowed to be 'public' where you
> can then visit (for example) https://brag.ceph.com/public/<fsid> and
> show off your Ceph cluster.
>
> You could then add a description and we could compile top lists about
> Ceph systems.
>
> How do people think about this? Would this be interesting?

Absolutely. One challenge I can see here (in addition to users actually
enabling it) is networking - I'd assume that many customers have
restricted their networks, so the MGR cannot easily establish an
outgoing connection without going through a proxy or before the admin
has poked a hole into the firewall. This might require configuration
options or corresponding documentation.

> I would try to convince most of my customers to send this information
> back to the project. The more information we get, the better Ceph can
> become.
>
> Wido
>
> [0]: https://github.com/wido/ceph/commits/mgr-brag

Nice work!