Re: seastar starting points

On 12/13/2017 11:42 AM, Ricardo Dias wrote:

On 13-12-2017 16:34, Sage Weil wrote:
We had a great chat yesterday with Avi Kivity @ Scylla about seastar in
ceph, and were talking about where to start...  One candidate was to carve
off the entire messenger and reimplement using seastar futures/promises.

I don't think it's a good idea to start with the messenger since we are currently making a lot of changes to implement the new V2 protocol.

This seastar messenger would only be used by the seastar-osd. The existing messengers will still be used by everything else, so your work there is valuable and shouldn't be impacted by the seastar project. Whether a new messenger would want to target this v2 protocol from the start (and ignore backward compatibility with v1 messengers) is an open question.

Casey