Re: conditionalize build on branch using jenkins

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:18 AM, kefu chai <tchaikov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> hey Alfredo and other Cephers,
>
> i am trying to disable master,mimic-* and probably PRs targeting these
> branches building on trusty. otherwise the binaries built on trusty
> with the new GCC ABI will not be able to run on trusty installation
> without the new libstdc++ installed due to missing libstdc++ ABI
> symbols. for more context, please see the recent discussion thread in
> this mailing list, search "C++11, std::list_size(), and trusty"  for
> it.
>
> for example, if a branch is pushed to ceph/ceph-ci, jenkins will build
> it, and upload the built packages to chacra. even if all trusty
> testnodes are reimaged with xenial. we still want to make sure that
> people using trusty won't run into troubles if they want to use the
> packages built using our build infrastructure. so, we need to use the
> old toolchain to build jewel and luminous.
>
> so the status quo is:
>
> - jewel, luminous, mimic-dev* and master built on trusty are using GCC-7
>
> and the goal is to
>
> 1. build jewel and luminous on trusty with the old GCC shipped with the distro
> 2. do not build master, mimic-dev* branches on trusty
>
> the same applies to the branches targeting respective releases pushed
> to ceph/ceph-ci .
>
> but after digging around in ceph/ceph-build, i realized that probably we need:
>
> 1. a naming convention for branches targeting jewel/luminous, like
> wip-fix-a-bug-luminous.

A naming convention sounds OK to me. I would prefer to have luminous
at the beginning. If using 'wip-' is a must, then something like:

    wip-luminous-fix-a-bug

Otherwise:

    luminous-fix-a-bug

On ceph-volume pull requests we've followed the latter.

> this helps with solving goal #1: so we can skip the steps preparing
> the GCC-7 when setup pbuilder.
>
> this also helps with solving gobal #2: we have no way to tell if a wip
> branch is targeting which release without actually cloning it and
> looking at the source files or using "git describe". but typically,
> jenkins will not have access to the source files or the .git directory
> of a PR or a ceph-ci repo before the "ceph-*-setup" job. and i'd like
> to prevent jenkins from scheduling a job at the very beginning: so the
> only metadata at that phase is the "$GIT_BRANCH". that's why i suggest
> use a naming convention for these branches. so jenkins is able to
> identify them.

This is all on point on how we detect these, and what is available at that point

> 2. we need to have a "combination-filter"[1] referencing the
> $GIT_BRANCH, like "!(["master", "mimic-dev1"].contains(branch) &&
> DIST=="trusty)". where "branch" is an axis, calculated using
> $GIT_BRANCH.
>
> i am not sure if #2 is a feasible approach. because i *think* the
> supported axises are setup when the jenkins-job-builder populate the
> yaml configuration files to jenkins. if that's the case, we cannot
> parameterize the "combination-filter" at run-time.

We do have a job that 'triggers' these other ones, configured with the
'trigger-builds' section on JenkinsJobBuilder. We don't use
'factories' there but that might be able to help here:

https://docs.openstack.org/infra/jenkins-job-builder/builders.html#builders.trigger-builds