Re: Could you resend the link to the pull request?

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 8:39 AM, Sage Weil <sweil@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2017, Ken Iizawa wrote:
>> I'm sorry, but I failed to save the link to the pull request you told
>> me about in today's meeting.
>> Could you resend the link?
>
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/15482
>
> There is a bunch of stuff in there, sorry.  What we really want is a rados
> op that triggers promote_object().  We don't have that quite yet.
>
> Myoungwon, is that something you've looked at yet?  I'm thinking of a
> rados op like TIER_PROMOTE (or something along those lines) that just
> triggers a promotion if it is a redirect/chunked manifest, and is a no-op
> otherwise.  (We could probably make it do something meaningful for a cache
> tier too, but I don't think it's worth the effort.)

Didn't we previously have something like that? All I see in the source
now is a CACHE_EVICT|FLUSH|TRY_FLUSH (or some new? CACHE_PIN|UNPIN),
but ops to control promotion/demotion were definitely on the drawing
board at one point, and I thought it was implemented.

Grepping through logs I do see we had a CEPH_OSD_RMW_FLAG_PROMOTE in
2015, though that's later than I was thinking. Not sure if I'm just
missing the right term to search for or if I'm making it up.
-Greg