presentation: making rgw's process_request() asynchronous

Hi all,

I've been working on a new http frontend for rgw over the past year and a half that's based on boost::asio and the beast http library. We're aiming to remove its 'experimental' status for the mimic release.

Since that project started, I've been brainstorming ways to take advantage of asio's asynchronous primitives throughout more of rgw. I think I've finally landed on a good strategy to incrementally convert process_request() (the main entrypoint for http requests) to be fully asynchronous when used with the beast frontend, without changing how the existing civetweb frontend works at all. The end result would allow us to serve more concurrent requests, reduce the number of threads needed, and plug in qos/prioritization features that would otherwise block frontend threads.

I'd like to present this to the rgw team and do a short code walkthrough to show what it looks like. Anyone else that's interested is more than welcome to join us next Tuesday, Nov 21 at 11am EST in https://bluejeans.com/u/cbodley/. I'll share the recording for anyone that can't make it.

Casey