Re: question about ec partial read in a single stripe

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017, zengran zhang wrote:
> Hi all:
>     we found that partial read will cause full stripe read  in now ec
> impl, for example:
>     we have 4 chunks per stripe, 4K size per chunks and 16K per
> stripe, when we read rand 2K in a stripe,the reads
> will amplify to full stripe(16K +8K(Parity))..

Right.

>     i did not see any checksum or buffer  related factor except the ec
> extentcache.does the extentcache is the purpuse of the mechanism?
> now we want increase the stripe width to improve the small random raed
> performance, but the mechanism limit the result...

This is definitely an improvement we're interested in.  I don't remember
what the issue with the previous PR was, but it appears to predate the EC
overwrites work (which merged about a year ago), so it will certainly need
to be reimplemented.  The extentcache is there to support the
read/modify/write behavior for sub-stripe overwrites. Whatever we do for
small substripe reads will need to cooperate with that cache.

If you're interested in tackling this, that would be fantastic!

sage