Performance questions.

Gentleman,

I don’t want this to sound too pretentious but when running ceph, under certain loads it curiously feels like watching a sci-fi movie from 80’s where computers where spitting out letter after letter.

I’ve just sat in front of terminal watching
rm -rf /certain_folder
taking ~23 minutes to delete 88100 files on cephfs. I’ve seriously seen file after file being deleted (hence the reference to movies like alien etc)

So this is just a simple “test box” which runs a single node ceph installation with 4 osd. There is _nothing_ else running on this cephfs … machine is stable for 30 minutes before running the command … It just seems very odd. I use this server (at my home) to test stuff before I put it into production.

Worst part is that in production on system with 3 node X 4 osd where everything sits in RDB (not cephfs) I see pretty much the same behaviour … writes take way to long than they should, latencies are horrendous and when for example CCTV drops 5GB of footage during scheduled process - everything grind to a halt and most of other VM’s are nearly inaccessible, CCTV can’t even store any file on it’s own FS.

I do run everything more or less “out of the box”. Even on home setup when I pump large file into cephfs (other pc -> samba -> server folder -> mounted cephfs) every 2gb everything just halts and ceph tries to “catch up” because there is no network IO but disks are chugging away.

Is there anything a poor schmuck can do to get most out of their hardware ? I’ve tried going down the route of enabling async for messenger with:
ms_type = async
but that seem to give zero benefit.

ps. lot of documentation seems dated, specially that bluestor is just “mentioned” few times …  --