Re: Wish list : automatic rebuild with hot swap osd ?

Hello,

>>> If these properties also mean device information (vendor, size,
>>> solid/rotational, etc...) it could help
>>> to better map/detect an OSD replacement since clusters tend to have a
>>> certain level of
>>> homogeneous hardware: if $brand, and $size, and $rotational etc...

>>> systemd has some support for devices, so we might not even need a
>>> daemon, but more a unit that can
>>> depend on events already handled by systemd (would save us from udev).
>>

>> FreeBSD does not have systemd. 8-)
>>
>> I'm inclined to say luckily, but then that may be my personal bias.
>> I don't like "automagic" tools like Udev or systemd tinkering with my disks.
>>
>> As Alan says, in ZFS one can designate hot-standby. But even there I prefer
>> to be alerted and then manually intervene.
>
> Actually, I was talking about autoreplace by physical path.  Hot
> spares are something else.  The physical path of a drive is distinct
> from its device path.  The physical path is determined by information
> from a SES[1] expander, which can actually tell you which physical
> slots contain which logical drives.
>

>> A hot-swap daemon that gets instructed to only use explicitly and fully
>> enumerated disk might be something to trust. So something matching
>> disk-serial number would be oke.
>
> Matching disk serial number isn't always safe in a VM.  VMs can
> generate duplicate serial numbers.  Better to match against a GPT
> label or something that identifies a drive as belonging to Ceph.
> That, unfortunately, requires some intervention from the
> administrator.  The nice thing about a user space daemon is that its
> behavior can easily be controlled by the sysadmin.  So for example, a
> sysadmin could opt into a rule that says "Ceph can take over all SCSI
> disks" or "Ceph can take over all disks without an existing partition
> table or known filesystem".

I like the idea of mutiple level of "take over".

To begin, we can imagine something like :

there is a daemon which check if a new disk device is added to an OSD server, a quick analyses of the disk tell if there is a partition table,
which one it is, if there is partitions, if there is zero or garbage (like encrypted data) etc... then  make a resume of the new device to a mon
or mgr or a new daemon

if an OSD is marked as down/out, give the possibility to replace the osd mark as down by a single command (same place in the crush map same weight

  ceph osd <id> replaceby <new disk ref>

if no OSD mark as down, offers the ability to add a new OSD at the right place in the crush map if possible (maybe calculate the place of the
new disk can be difficult)

  ceph osd add <new disk ref> [crush map placement]

of just ignore the disk

  ceph osd ignore <new disk ref>

then give the ability of the cluster in some condition to do choose what to do without human interaction.

does this make sense ?

--
Yoann Moulin
EPFL IC-IT