Re: Multisite 3+ zones

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Two Spirit <twospirit6905@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for the clarifications. one comment below.
>
>>> If this is supported, what happens if zone1 data is modified, while at
>>> the same time a zone2 modifies the same data but the data was not yet
>>> copied from the zone1 to zone2. How is this conflict handled? Does
>>> last write win?
>>>
>>Yes the last write will win (in the end)
>
> (feature request)I know this is a very popular solution, but I wanted
> to shine in on this. I think it is a very bad solution. We have run
> into catastrophic loss of data due to this algorithm and has happened
> many times, just because someone eventually close out files not
> realizing there were other instances. Usually the lost data is very
> recently modified. The analogy for developers is if there was source
> code conflict, the last write wins. It would be more helpful if both
> versions were preserved for manual merge.

Radosgw is object storage (S3 compatible), this means object are
immutable and when you write on an object you completely overwrite it.
If you want to be able to revert to a different version, you can
enable versioning on the bucket.
This means every write of the object will create a new version of the
object and keep the old one. The replication will replicate all the
versions.
You can delete automatically very old versions using the life cycle
feature to free space.

Cheers,
Orit