Re: [ceph-users] Ceph release cadence

Here is a concrete proposal for everyone to summarily shoot down (or
heartily endorse, depending on how your friday is going):

- 9 month cycle
- enforce a predictable release schedule with a freeze date and
  a release date.  (The actual .0 release of course depends on no blocker
  bugs being open; not sure how zealous 'train' style projects do
  this.)
- no more even/odd pattern; all stable releases are created equal.
- support upgrades from up to 3 releases back.

This shortens the cycle a bit to relieve the "this feature must go in"
stress, without making it so short as to make the release pointless (e.g.,
infernalis, kraken).  (I also think that the feature pressure is much
lower now than it has been in the past.)

This creates more work for the developers because there are more upgrade
paths to consider: we no longer have strict "choke points" (like all
upgrades must go through luminous).  We could reserve the option to pick
specific choke point releases in the future, perhaps taking care to make
sure these are the releases that go into downstream distros.  We'll need
to be more systematic about the upgrade testing.

Somewhat separately, several people expressed concern about having stable
releases to develop against.  This is somewhat orthogonal to what users
need.  To that end, we can do a dev checkpoint every 1 or 2 months
(preferences?), where we fork a 'next' branch and stabilize all of the
tests before moving on.  This is good practice anyway to avoid
accumulating low-frequency failures in the test suite that have to be
squashed at the end.

The timing of the 9 mo cycle could be chosen to strategically avoid
holiday periods.  E.g, Feb 1, May 1, Aug 1, Nov 1 (hard to miss both Dec
and Aug, unfortunately).

Thoughts?  Counter-proposals?

sage