How do I "install" from source? Service binaries (and /etc/ceph) are missing after make install

I made some modifications to the source code and I'm trying to deploy it.

 The ceph-deploy fails because I dont want to do "ceph-deploy
install", and even if I run "sudo make install" some service binaries
are not found,  /etc/ceph and the dir on /var/ are not created.

 So now I'm just trying to do a manual deploy and I can't do the
monitor part. I run everything, but when I try to actually launch the
monitor, I can't. The manual says to run "sudo start ceph-mon
id=node1" if I have ubuntu. Well, AWS's ubuntu doesn't use upstart so
that doesn't work. I then tried "sudo /etc/init.d/ceph start
mon.node1", but ceph doesn't exist in init.d.

 How is it created and who does it? Is it a symlink to the binary? Why
doesn't "make install" do this automatically? Is there a script to do
the delta between installing from a package manager and installing
from source?

 My modified version was based on Jewel if that's important.

 Thanks.