Re: [Ceph-maintainers] Ceph release cadence

A big +1 to Lars proposal.

Having the train run on time (3 months) has many benefits. Take a look at the Kuberenetes release cycle for reference (https://github.com/kubernetes/community/wiki/Life-of-a-Kubernetes-Release) and its one of the highest velocity projects and they do stateful, breaking and protocol upgrades too.

> These make the upgrade testing a huge concern and burden for the
> Ceph development community.

Sage, do you think an investment in more automation around upgrade testing would help this? Limiting the horizon to a ~1 year could help too.

> - test upgrades between all of them within a 2 year horizon, instead
>   of just the last major one

If you limit the upgrade horizon to 2 previous versions, a customer on n-3 could upgrade to n-2 and then to n. Also I think by declaring the policy most admins will start upgrading more frequently.

My 2 cents.